Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Santa

October was a busy month! The biggest challenge was a change in my work schedule ... I may be getting used to the changes after 4 weeks - but I'm not totally sure! I did have some projects going on, but didn't have much time to photograph and post anything new! I hope the posts that have made it on the blog have been ok until I get back into a routine.

Today's card is from last week's Copic challenge that Keri and I are doing. Keri was good and got her card posted on time, me ... well ... I'm a week late but at least I'm posting it now. Our challenge was to use the Copic Airbrush System (ABS) on a card. Keri's is HERE and it's gorgeous! Another quick congratulations to Keri on being selected to the Spellbinder's blog team. Keri is very talented and has already posted a great tutorial on using the Nestability dies to their fullest potential!


I worked, reworked and reworked some more until I felt it was passable. I'm still not happy with it, but it's ok and I did learn a few things along the way. I just bought a few new colors of Ranger's Distress embossing powders, and I wanted to use them. Probably not the best idea for this image. First lesson: Pay attention to your image and really think about how to best treat it before you start.

I over stamped the image after I didn't get the effect I was seeking with the distress powders and embossed again, this time in clear. Hum ... didn't make much change. Second lesson: You can't correct some things, just move on!

Next I airbrushed. And airbrushed, and airbrushed! Everything on the card except the twill is airbrushed! I kept adding more color, taking some out with the blender pen, then adding more. There is actually a little girl's face to the right of Santa's ... but you can't see it because nothing I did made her look realistic! She actually started looking scary at one point. When an element just doesn't work what else can you do but cover it with an embellishment! So I gave up and stamped "Believe", airbrushed some color over it, cut and embossed with Oval Nestabilities and stuck it down! Third lesson: If it doesn't work, cover it up!

Funny story about this card. As I worked, I struggled to keep the face clear ... my son took the card to my husband and asked him what he thought it was. My husband said, and I quote, "Well, I think I can see a face in that rock." Oh my goodness! It was obviously worse than I thought!

So - whether you see a Santa, or a rock, at least I posted my challenge card! lol. I hope you like it! It is loosely based on the CPS Sketch Challenge from last week too!

happy stampin'
supplies: Santa (Inkadinkadoo), "Believe" Cornish Heritage Farms, Ranger embossing powders, Copic markers and ABS, Nestabilities, twill, Versamark, Memento inks, Stampin' Up cardstock.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Gorgeous card Susan!

Amy said...

I love your card, Susan! And your Third Lesson! In my LSS we have a mantra "There are no mistakes, only embellishment opportunities"!
Keep up the good work!
Amy